The Co-operative Development Department (JPK) was founded in July 1922 to establish, register and develop Co-operatives under The Co-operative Societies Enactment [FMS Cap. 97 of 1992] while being empowered to drive and develop the co-operative movement.
The Co-operative Development Commissioner, Headquarters of Co-operative Development Department had its office then in Taiping, Perak Darul Ridzuan. The office was later shifted to Kuala Lumpur in 1924.
The name Corporation Development Department was changed to Co-operative Development Department (JPK) in the end of the 1970s. Enactment 1922 was later abolished and replaced with Co-operative Societies Act 1948 (revised in 1983). Subsequently, Co-operative Societies Act 1993 (Act 502) was legislated to consolidate the co-operative laws in Malaysia and was first effective as of 22 January 1994.
On 1 January 2008, the Co-operative Development Department of Malaysia was transformed to Malaysia Co-operative Societies Commission (SKM).